Saturday 9 June 2012

Lemony Mascarpone Ice-Cream


In a bit more than a week I will be graduating for the second time around.
It's a weird feeling. You see, when I walk across that stage and get whacked on the head with John Konx's trousers (St Andrews has some weird traditions...though Edinburgh has another part of his supposed trousers) that will be the first time in my adult life that I won't be a student anymore. Ok, there was that summer between graduating the first time around and starting my PhD, but I don't think that really counts.
So, rather than feeling existential I am celebrating growing up (or something like that) with lots of food.
Mostly unhealthy food :)
Ok, if I'm gonna be perfectly honest with you, I was feeling rather existential after I got the email from our library that my hardbound copy had made its way there, but then I made some ice-cream and everything was better.

This mascarpone ice-cream is really nice by itself, but it's also part of a larger recipe that will eventually turn into mascarpone, rhubarb, and caramel ice-cream. Soo, keep your eyes peeled for the second part.
We'll be making enough so you can enjoy some of it before moving on to the rhubarb. Don't you worry, I wouldn't let you make ice-cream with lots to spare.

Lemony Mascarpone Ice-Cream
600ml Whipping Cream
3 tbsp Icing Sugar
250g Mascarpone
Juice and Zest of 2 Lemons
2 tbsp Vodka
1/4 tsp Fleur de Sel

Whip the cream and the icing sugar until soft peaks are only just starting to form (don't overbeat the cream here or you might have a buttery mess in your hands later).

Add the mascarpone and whisk until the two are just combined.

Add the lemon juice, zest, vodka and salt and whisk until they are incorporated.

Try the creamy mess. You shouldn't have an overly sweet mix but if you feel like all you can taste is the lemon, add another teaspoon of sifted icing sugar.

Fill the mixture into a freezer-proof container (I tend to re-use the plastic ice-cream tubs when I buy ice-cream) and freeze overnight. The salt and the alcohol lower the freezing point of the mixture so you don't have to churn the ice-cream. You will probably have to let it sit out on the counter for a few minutes but since there is no egg in there you should be fine.

Now, wasn't that easy?

This ice-cream works a treat when you're feeling existential, but it's also lovely when you're just looking for something to round off a nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...