Saturday 25 June 2011

Frozen Rhubarb Fool


While I am attempting to finally find a scone recipe that gives me scones the way I like them (we're on batch number 6 or so) I thought I could cheer us all up with a recipe that does actually work (unlike the scones saga...).
And before you say anything, I know I've been bombarding you with rhubarb recipes, but a) rhubarb is amazing and b) it grows in our garden and is free :)

Frozen Rhubarb Fool
300g Rhubarb, trimmed weight
75g Sugar
A pinch of Nutmeg
1/2 Vanilla Pod
1 tsp Rosewater
1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel
2 tbsp Rum
200ml Whipping Cream

Cut the Rhubarb into 2.5 cm pieces and combine with 50g of the sugar in a saucepan. Cover and heat at the lowest possible heat so the rhubarb 'sweats' for about 10 minutes. Once the rhubarb is swimming in its own juices turn up the heat a bit, then add the nutmeg and rosewater. Simmer until the rhubarb is cooked through. You can test the flavour now and, if you feel this is waaay to tart, add some more sugar (not from the 25g we put aside though, and keep in mind that we will be adding some sweet whipped cream to the rhubarb in a bit). Take the rhubarb off the heat and add the salt and the rum. We're adding these two to lower the freezing point a bit so our 'ice-cream' stays softer once we freeze it.
Allow the rhubarb to cool down completely, then whip the cream and the remaining 25g sugar and the seeds from the vanilla pod (keep the pod for flavouring another dish such as rice pudding). Try to not eat all of it (or is that just me who does that?) and fold in the rhubarb mix.
Freeze the mixture in a shallow dish (I tend to use an old ice cream container for this) and stir it with a fork every once in a while to make the crystals smaller. Obviously, if you have an ice cream maker scratch the previous sentence and let the ice cream maker work its magic.
Anyhow, I hope it is warm enough for lots and lots of ice cream where you are!
Do you have a favourite flavour at the moment? The rhubarb thing is turning into my favourite these days, but I've also been thinking of the blackberry one I made last year....and the plum one...and I really want to try those super cute rice pudding popsicles Nicky wrote about earlier this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...