Monday 20 December 2010

Carrot, Coriander, and Chicken Soup


I hope you're getting ready for Christmas at the moment and I am keeping my fingers crossed that those of you who are stranded at the moment will make it home to your families in time!
I must admit I haven't touched a pot or an oven since Wednesday (and that was a simple dish of bavettine with a tomato sauce).
We went to Paris and had some amazing food. How often do you get macarons at a conference?!?
But as much as I enjoyed the food I was craving something slightly more on the healthy side of things by the time I made it home, so forgive me if I refuse to give you another sweet recipe for one or two posts.
I made this soup a while back and it's pretty much the Carrot and Coriander Soup I wrote about earlier this year with some chicken added but it really does turn a simple, warming soup into a full meal.

Carrot, Coriander, and Chicken Soup
1kg Carrots, peeled and sliced
1 Onion, diced
2 Garlic cloves, diced
2-3 tsp Red curry paste
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 Chicken Breasts (without the skin), cut into chunks
A handful of Desiccated Coconut 
1 Vegetable stock cube
1tsp Marmite
1/2 l Hot water
50g Fresh coriander
Yoghurt

Heat the oil in a large pot and brown the chicken. Once the chicken is done, take it out of the pot but leave the remaining oil in the pot, add the red curry paste and watch it bubble away for around 30 seconds. Add the onion and the garlic, stir and give it a couple of minutes, stirring more or less continuously.
Add the chicken and the carrots, then add enough water to cover everything.
Add the stock cube and the marmite and the coconut and simmer until the carrots are tender.
If the carrots are just about done, turn down the heat, find your trusty friend the hand blender thing and blend away :) 
I got a bit carried away with the blender but I think it would be the nicest texture-wise if you could still identify some of the chicken as actual chicken.
Chop the coriander, stir it into the soup and enjoy the soup with some yoghurt and a slice of rye bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...